Sunday, January 25, 2009

Happy 牛 year!

Hei hei... it is chinese new year's eve today...apart from having to wake up early in the morning to go sch specifically to just sell a textbook to a fellow school mate, today has been pretty much pleasant.

in case you are wondering why I would agree to go to school today, well, the buyer has bargained nearly a week earlier for a lower price. I compromised a little to reduce to a slightly lower price but the person wanted an even lower amt...yada yada...so in the end.. there was impasse...and come yesterday night, the person smsed me again saying tat she agreed to buy the book... and needed it urgently... well, I empathise the pain of being a student.. so I agreed to make the trip this morning even though it is chinese new year's eve...

there wasnt alot of people in sch, ('duh'? today is Sunday and CNY's eve!) but there are still some small groups having meetings... Poor thing.. I am sooo glad i dont have to go through this any longer... haa...

anw...it is time for reunion dinner soon... hope you guys have fun and enjoy this festive! Happy Chinese 牛 Year. =p

2 comments:

Andrus Purde said...

Happy 牛 year to you too!

I also have question on new year’s resolutions in China. Do people make New Year’s resolutions on CNY day in the same way many people in Western cultures do? I’m co-founder of Pledgehammer, a website that helps people keep resolutions and promises; and I'm trying to figure out whether this is an opportunity ie. whether it makes sense to translate the site into Chinese and find some local charities to work with.

Angeline said...

hi Andrus,
Thanks for dropping by! I cant really comment on behalf of the people in China, cos I'm living in Singapore... but as a Singaporean Chinese, we do make new year's resolutions on CNY just like what we do during New Year on 1 Jan. It is just that perhaps the new year's resolution part is not as emphasized during this period. The main highlight of Chinese New Year is on the reunion feasts, new year visits, red packets and exchange of blessings and well wishes; all of which to usher in wealth and good fortune for the fresh year.
Setting it aside, I got to say gd job abt Pledgehammer. It is quite a novel ideal...and in my opinion, having the site to be in Chinese would be crucial if you are to operate in China...in fact, to operate elsewhere, adding e first language would be a plus point. All the best.