Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The rising star in cyber world

Everyone's talking about digital and new media recently. Well, I guess it all attributes to the convenience of broadband, mobile network and wireless technology whatsoever.

Hence, it was just the right time to take up Digital Media Across Asia module. One obvious reason being that i can clear my Global and Regional Studies Elective. It is a big deal to me becos... i cant graduate without clearing this elective. The second reason was already mentioned- it is the in-thing now you know...

Plus, there is one more reason tat further spurs up my interests for this module. Because my prof for this subject- Prof Michael Netzley, is interesting and humourous. His lessons are engaging and fun in a way that it actually motivated me to read up 3 chapters of his readings before class. Now, I seriously seldom do that, except during exam period. Perhaps it is also because the required reference book, "Groundswell" by Charlene Li and Josh Bernoff, was informative yet reader friendly.

After 2 weeks of his class, I found that I had seriously under-rated the usefulness of digital media all these while. I had also thought that I was adept at using internet tools as well, until I attended the class. New digital tools such as RSS, technorati, google reader, del.icio.us, Plurk etc came into the picture and I was like, huh? What are they? I only know how to tickle frens or tag names in facebook. It was pretty overwhelming at first when prof demo to us step by step but I think, once you get started, it's hard to stop using them?

and I just discovered that Blogger is providing a new "Following" Feature. You get to feature your followers (your blog readers) on your blog and it is also linked with google reader. Woah... great addition. but dont get too excited yet, it is still in experimenting stage nw and will only be rolled out after few wks. But I got a feeling that it shd be ready before tat. Stay tuned.

No comments: